17 December 2009

Going Digital

My boyfriend is a bit of a tech geek. When I saw him come across a headline containing the words "digital magazines" in his latest batch of articles this afternoon, I had him send it to me so I could check it out for myself.

BERG is a British design consultancy that works with companies like BBC and Nokia to help research and develop their technologies. They've recently teamed up with Swedish media group Bonnier, whose vision is to "continuously reinvent the art of publishing", to create this conceptual video that explores the future of digital magazines. Because I live for fashion media and hope to someday, somehow make a career out of it, the idea of digital magazines is both fascinating and frightening. It changes the game completely.

It's nice to see that developers are keeping in mind the importance of things like identifiable covers and the sense of accomplishment that comes from reading a magazine, but it seems that this sort of technology still has a long way to go before devoted magazine readers will abandon print completely. Regardless, this is a glimpse of where we are headed.

Oh, the times they are a-changin'?

Watch the video and read what BERG has to say about it here.

No comments: